Way to cache stacks from web and update when changes?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 20 10:16:01 EDT 2003

Rob Gould wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to write an app that automatically updates
> itself from the web when it determines that a stack on the web-site changes.
> Has anyone done this before?

Half way:  While the GoRevNet plugin does not yet update itself dynamically,
most of what it needs to do that is in place and will be competed as soon as
I get a little time for that.

Remember that in order to check a property such as a version number you'd
need to download the whole stack.  For RevNet I wrote a simple tool that
compresses the stack and uploads it for me, and then it writes a very small
text file that contains the version info.  When you visit the Update card in
RevNet it only grabs the version info file,  and informs you of any newer
versions based on that.

One thing to keep in mind about apps is that they can't write to themselves.
But if you keep most of your likely-to-be-updated parts as separate stack
files outside of the exe it's a snap to overwrite them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation