Using strong language on the lists

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 20 10:14:02 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 06:28  AM, Mathewson wrote:

> Obviously, though, as when walking across the hills,
> everybody should walk at the pace of the slowest hiker.

Mathewson

Not to be deliberately contrary, I used to be a mountain climber with
over 25 years of climbing experience. It is often wise to leave slower
climbers behind if that is possible. In some cases the entire group
will turn back if this can't happen. These slower climbers are never
asked to return for another try. In cases where they can separate from
the main group during a climb, many times caused by injury or
circumstantial fatigue, some after reaching the next campsite will go
back to help the slower members with their load. Safety outclasses
common curtsy every time in the hills when lives are at stake.

By the way I see that you have contributed far more than just posting
to this list. I wanted to say thanks. I'm sure that I can learn from
your examples.

Mark