DB Access in standalones

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Aug 19 23:15:01 EDT 2003

On 8/19/03 6:06 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> I had problems with database access in standalones at one point but was able to get everything working.  Here is how my project is set up-
>
> 1) I have one splash stack whic his used to create the executable (splash.rev)
> 2) The main program (program.rev) and two additional pop-up windows are .rev files stored external to the executable.
> 3) The main program has a sub stack which has all of the database calls (database.rev).
> 4) When the executable launches it opens program.rev and hides itself.
>
> At first, program.rev would simply start using database.rev and that worked fine in the Rev development environment.  When I built the standalone this wouldn't work though.  I then added a line which would start using splash.rev (the rev file that was part of the executable) and then everything started working great.  I assume that the splash.rev file had the links to the database external and by using it as a library in program.rev it made the database functionality available to it.  Hope this helps.

I had great hopes for this, but it didn't work. What handler did you put
the "start using" command into? I tried putting it into the preOpenStack
script of the splash stack. Technically we should never have to "start
using" the mainstack in a standalone because its scripts are always in
use anyway, so if this worked for you it is an unusual requirement. But
I carried on.

My stack setup is nearly identical to yours. Splash stack becomes the
standalone mainstack, DB libs in a substack. The externals property is
set on the mainstack. I was previously closing the main stack before
going to another stack, and your hint made me think this could be the
problem. I  think (but am not sure) that closing a stack removes its
externals from memory. So I left the mainstack open as well as started
using it. Still didn't work though.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com