XML-RPC Support?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Aug 19 22:36:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 04:26  AM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> Glad to see 'granddaddy' XML-RPC is still alive and
> kicking ; while I would agree that it is easier to
> use, nearly all of the Web Service implementations in
> development tools (such as in WebObjects 5.2, 4th
> Dimension 2003, and our beloved Revolution 2.0) are
> concentrating around SOAP.
> Granted, the specs for SOAP 1.2 are hefty (which is
> why it is no longer an acronym for Simple Object
> Access Protocol) but they offer a lot of
> enterprise-level features, such as parts that are
> forwarded to and handled by different web services,
> etc.
> In most cases, overkill. But it's the standard, so we
> have to follow suit.
> However, implementing XML-RPC using the 'post' command
> and employing the revXML library, should be a breeze ;
> and I bet you could learn a lot from the SOAP toolbox
> if you were to build a library for it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jan Schenkel.

Jan,

Yes, SOAP do have enterprise level features that XML-RPC lacks... and
sometimes it's just overkill, think for example a simple blog tool, the
code required for soap transport would be bigger than the rest of the
app... :D

I intend to buy Rev Studio this week, if I do, i'll try to implement a
simple xml-rpc stack so others may improve upon!

Cheers

Andre Garzia  2003
imac2 ibook p100 e uma torradeira....