Revolution and fonts

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Aug 19 16:53:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 02:35  PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Even following the HIG for each platform will involve profiles or
> scripting or both to adjust to the platform.  Even then, I would think
> most apps have some part that does not apply.
>
> To my shame, I have ignored HIG.  My Windows book is boxed up and
> probably only applies to 3.1.  Any good online references to HIG for
> Windows, OS X, Mac OS?  Is there such a thing for Linux?  (I have no
> idea whether Linux folks would offended if I suggested there would not
> be one or offended if I suggested there might be one.)

re: apple HIG, it is on their ADC website; search for "Human Interface
Guidelines" at
http://developer.apple.com/

Personally, I wouldn't get mired down in HIG guidelines for each
platform. I recommend the book _Software For Use_ by Constantine and
Lockwood. It has real-world practical advice, principles and rules for
software developers that kind of cuts through all the HIG BS and is
immediately useful.

Judging from your Primer Primer, Dar, you have a good "feel" for
usability already and would probably enjoy the content in this book.
There may be better books on this topic, but this one is also covers
use-case modeling and navigation maps.

Here is what Constantine and Lockwood say about HIG and platform
standards:
"""
Unfortunately, the field of standards and style guides is riddled with
potholes and pitfalls. Industry standards are often ignored, even by
the very software companies that developed them and that call for
others to adhere to them. In truth it may be all but impossible to
follow the published standards and guidelines in practice. Advice on
one page is contradicted by rules on another and there are more pages
than any ordinary developer can be expected to understand and recall.
Despite their encyclopedic appearance, published standards and style
guides may leave the majority of questions unanswered. Jared Spool has
reported that only about 10% of the user interface design questions
raised by developers over the course of a typical project can be
answered by reference to platform-based published guides. Another 10%
or so may be covered by the corporate standards developed in house by
particular companies. In other words, even if used well and used
consistently, user interface standards manuals and style guides will
leave developers in the dark or on their own most of the time.
"""

http://foruse.com/publications/index.htm

re: Fonts in _Software For Use_ won't tell you what font & size to use
on what platform. But gives some usability tips for fonts, like

- Use Sans-serif fonts; they are easer to read on screen. (aside: This
has always puzzled me. Serif fonts are known to be easier to read in
print. Will this rule change when displays get better?)
- Use the "over-40" 1 meter squint test to make sure your fonts are not
too small
- Use a max of 2 or 3 fonts per screen
- Avoid italics and other font styles that don't display on screen too
well

That's just from memory; there could be more about fonts in there.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com