Anyone At All Using Valentina?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Aug 19 04:14:01 EDT 2003

>Poking around database support in Rev, I spent a bit more time
>looking into Valentina this evening.
>
>Is anyone out there using it? I mean, $200 for a database in an era
>when mySQL -- one of the best databases on the planet -- is free and
>ODBC connectors are also mostly free?
>
>So if someone's using it, I'd be mighty curious to know why. It
>doesn't seem to me to have any advantages at all.
>
>If it was $50 or less, I might license it just for testing locally,
>but I can set up a local instance of mySQL for free, so....
>
>What am I missing here, people?
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Dan Shafer, Revolutionary
>Author of forthcoming 3-book set,
>"Revolution: Programming at the Speed of Thought"
>http://www.revolutionpros.com for More Info

Well, you can take Valentina for a spin for free. The fully
functional demo has 10-minute per session timeout. Relaunch and you
have another 10 min. Also, the  Valentina/AppleScript solution is
only $50, although the vxcmd product for $200/$250 is way better for
Rev/MC users.

If you are working under OSX and dealing with networking is not an
issue for you, then MySQL (among other database options under OSX or
Linux) is fine. It surely is a more mature product and more widely
deployed. However, if you are concerned with speed, for example, you
have millions of records and need really fast sorting and searching,
Valentina is a winner.

Valentina is a nice match for Rev because of its multiplatform
support. It runs under OS9, OSX, and Windows. Unix is also in
Valentina's future AFAIK. Further, Valentina allows you to switch
development environments should there be a need (as much as we love
Rev, our clients or projects may require using something else).

Then, many Rev users graduate to using a true database engine after
using stacks as simple databases and prefer to continue with the
database fully embedded into the stacks/standalone. Valentina is it
unless Serendipity Library suffice. Switching from fields/cards as db
to Valentina (using its full interface not RevDB) is relatively
simple.

Consider also that quite a few people using Valentina distribute
their products on CDs. I think that excludes MySQL. And the
forthcoming Valentina server will allow to mix local and remote
usage, allowing flexible scaling and distributed solutions.

I personally use MC/Valentina combo to produce, programmatically but
offline, web sites from db content as well as supporting online
access to databases using MC-based CGI on a server that runs under
Mac OS 9.2.

Robert