XML-RPC Support?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 02:32:00 EDT 2003

--- Andre Garzia <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:

> On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 02:48  AM, Jan
> Schenkel wrote:
>
> > --- Dan Shafer <dan at shafermedia.com> wrote:
> >> I thought I had read or heard somewhere that
> >> Revolution supports
> >> XML-RPC. But searching docs turns up no clues.
> >>
> >> Anyone got a pointer?
> >>

> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Revolution supports SOAP, which one might say
> > supersedes XML-RPC.
> > Have a look at \Sample stacks\SOAP_Toolbox.rev
> >
> > Hope this helped,
> >
> > Jan Schenkel.
>

> Jan,
>
> I do not think soap supersedes XML-RPC.... Soap is
> to complicated to
> use, xml-rpc is simple and does the job well, i
> never knew a project
> that really needed soap, xml-rpc always live up to
> the job for me.
>
> the sites:
> http://www.soapware.org
> http://www.xmlrpc.com
>
> Are both from Userland, they've got the specs, the
> implementations and
> a list of public avaiable services. xml-rpc has more
> services avaiable
> and is easier to implement. As for Dan question, he
> can implement
> xml-rpc by himself (it's not that hard!!!) or if
> he's using MacOS he
> can call applescripts to the xml-rpc call for him
> and pass back the
> results!!!!
>
> Cheers!
> Andre

Hi Andre,

Glad to see 'granddaddy' XML-RPC is still alive and
kicking ; while I would agree that it is easier to
use, nearly all of the Web Service implementations in
development tools (such as in WebObjects 5.2, 4th
Dimension 2003, and our beloved Revolution 2.0) are
concentrating around SOAP.
Granted, the specs for SOAP 1.2 are hefty (which is
why it is no longer an acronym for Simple Object
Access Protocol) but they offer a lot of
enterprise-level features, such as parts that are
forwarded to and handled by different web services,
etc.
In most cases, overkill. But it's the standard, so we
have to follow suit.
However, implementing XML-RPC using the 'post' command
and employing the revXML library, should be a breeze ;
and I bet you could learn a lot from the SOAP toolbox
if you were to build a library for it.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====