Anyone At All Using Valentina?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Aug 19 02:20:01 EDT 2003

On 8/18/03 Dan Shafer wrote

>Poking around database support in Rev, I spent a bit more time looking
>into Valentina this evening.
>
>Is anyone out there using it? I mean, $200 for a database in an era
>when mySQL -- one of the best databases on the planet -- is free and
>ODBC connectors are also mostly free?
>
>So if someone's using it, I'd be mighty curious to know why. It doesn't
>seem to me to have any advantages at all.
>
>If it was $50 or less, I might license it just for testing locally, but
>I can set up a local instance of mySQL for free, so....
>
>What am I missing here, people?

I am using Valentina for a multimedia project I am working on that is powered by a database.  I have used mySQL in my web applications for the past 5 years but chose Valentina for the database in this project because there is no installation, port numbers, daemons, etc. to worry about.  I just need the db files and the XCMD and everything works great.  This project will be distributed on CD-ROM and this makes it a good solution for this delivery platform.  I have read from numerous people that it is very fast and have not experienced anything to the contrary.  A good portion of the interface in the project is created dynamically from DB data and the bottleneck is definitely not the db.

After using Valentina for a year I really like it and am interested in it's new client/server functionality.  This might make Valentina a viable option for networked applications in a LAN/WAN environment.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com