Database tool

Michael Young myoung at bigskyneuro.com
Mon Aug 18 03:47:59 EDT 2003

Hello experts,

I need some advice before I head down a path that may end in a dead end
since I am still an RR neophyte getting to know this tool.

I know the old saying about choosing the right tool for the job, however
while I have engineering degrees and programming experience in LabVIEW, C,
Pascal on IBM mainframe, PEP assembler and etc. I am currently a hobbyist
who does not have the time to learn and use multiple tools so I subscribe to
the theory of learning one hammer really well and turning everything into a
nail. :-) (For example, I previously used LabVIEW to create simple HTML
files by pulling files from various local hard drive directories that for
those of you who know LIVE probably seems silly, but it worked well. I
viewed myself as inventive not crazy. :-) ) So, is RR a reasonable database
tool substitute for an application like Filemaker Pro on Macintosh OS X to
create simple databases (single user with hundreds of new records per month
and sometimes simple file i/o for pdf storage and display retrieval)? If so,
where can I find the "best practice" examples on how to develop such
databases (I have already worked through the tutorial database)? If not,
what database management system is suggested? (I do not want to start a
flame war, but I simply do not like FMP.)

Thanks in advance for your input,

Michael