Portable fonts and usage recommendations needed

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Aug 17 12:34:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 10:20 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> Something seems hideous about this.  Is there some good reason for
>> this or was this planned from the start to torture me?
>
> It's tempting to say it was designed just to torment you, but actually
> this has been the bane of desktop publishing and software design since
> day one.

Yes.  The above is code for "I made the silly assumption that fonts
with the same name might be similar".  More similar than they are.  I
think 25% size variations are a lot.

> In general, if you lay out fields on Windows, there will be plenty of
> room for the same text on a Mac. If you lay out fields on a Mac, leave
> a lot of extra space for the Windows display. Sometimes you can adjust
> the field margins depending on the platform to give the extra pixels
> you need to create consistent word wrap, but don't count on it always
> being accurate.

It is strange that some Windows fonts are taller, yet have a smaller
width and line spacing.  That means I need to adjust one direction in
some cases and another in others.

I had gotten into the habit of making my labels fit to text, something
I realize is not what I want; I need to leave a little room for
variations.

> If a user doesn't have the fonts your stack expects, there's no
> telling how it will look and very little you can do about it.

I'm thinking of adding a simple alternate-font script in openBackground
and others.  In one case, I'm going to go to a fixed text height, but
that will hurt my smaller-font displays.  I expect I will bump the size
by two on Windows in some applications and some controls.  I need to
learn about profiles.

Dar Scott