A tip when using externals and cloning stacks

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Aug 15 17:37:01 EDT 2003

On 8/15/03 11:06 AM, Alex Rice wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 11:05  AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> remains a perpetual problem.
>
> I haven't experienced this, but it's disturbing to hear. Do you think
> the same problem would exist with a "hello world" external, for example
> would just set a transcript variable to the string "hello world"? I ask
> because am wondering if your external is running into System API
> differences or DLL clashes of some kind?

I should clarify. On my own machine externals appear to work fine.
However, on a client's machine with an identical folder setup and OS,
they don't always load. We haven't been able to quite figure out why not.

The one thing that seems to affect his machine (but not mine) is if I
list both platform externals together in the externals property, like this:

   revXML.bundle
   revxml.dll

If the externals property is set this way, it works for me on OS X but
not for him on OS X. If I set the externals property to only the single
line "revXML.bundle" then it works for him too. However, that means I
have to remember to create two version of the stack, one for Windows and
one for Macs, before building a standalone so that each one has the
correct externals property.

This may be some kind of bug in the engine, but if so, it is elusive --
because two-line externals do work on my machine. However, the requested
ability to load externals individually via script would solve all this
and make the issue moot.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com