OT: Mac OS X Server - - - timeouts

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Fri Aug 15 16:43:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 02:50  PM, Rob Gould wrote:

> I'm trying to get my Revolution application to FTP files up to our Mac
> OS X server.  This works most of the time, but if the server isn't
> used for awhile, it gets into this mode where you have to kind of
> "wake it up" - - - apps on the server sit for awhile before launching,
> the server doesn't serve for awhile, etc.  This doesn't seem like
> normal behavior to me, and I was wondering if anyone else has
> experienced this before with an OS X server and might know what
> setting needs to be adjusted.  It's got all the software updates for
> both the OS and the server software.

If it's a general behavior for the server, not just the FTP daemon,
then I would suspect memory or energy saver problems.

If the server is low on memory and processes are getting swapped
swapped out (to virtual memory on disk). Then when requests are made,
it takes a moment to read the processes back in from swap. Run Process
Viewer, top, vmstat to see how much free memory is on the server.

Also check energy saver and disk sleep settings. Those should be turned
off for a server. I think OS X has those off by default- not sure.

If the problem is specific to ftpd, then I would look at 1) Is the
daemon being started by inetd (slower), or is it a long running process
2) is the daemon doing DNS lookups on clients (for example this can be
a performance hit for httpd, but I don't know about ftpd)

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com