A newbie aks how this was done

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 11:03:01 EDT 2003

--- "lbrehmer at rof.net" <lbrehmer at rof.net> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> In the absence of a manual (still unavailable) and
> the upcoming book by Dan
> Shafer
> (still unreleased) I have been teaching myself, as
> suggested, by first
> dissecting the
> tutorials and now the example stacks that came with
> the app.  I have found
> something
> that would be absolutely perfect for a current
> project, but as an absolute
> non code-
> writer, this thing, which is most like very easy to
> do, is a complete
> mystery to me, no
> matter how hard I look at the inspectors and the
> scripts.  I am not even
> sure these
> books will help when they are available, because
> many of the terms in the
> scripts can
> be found neither in the built in glossary nor in the
> transcript dictionary,
> so I suspect it
> was written in a different language (and I am not
> familiar with any
> language at all).  I
> am talking about the "How to" object on the right
> side of the "Making
> simple soap
> calls" card of the SOAP_toolbox.rev stack in the
> examples folder of version
> 2.0.2.
> Since it is not a substack, I can only describe it
> as a widow on a card
> containing a
> number of navigable pages.  This is just what I
> need, but I can't make
> heads or tails it,
> especially the script of the "rpcHowTo" object.
>
> What language was this thing written in or did it
> come from Meta- or Super-
> or
> HyperCard?  Is this something someone could explain
> to a non-code person in
> a few
> minutes?  If not, where should I look to find out
> how to do this? (Books,
> websites,
> other RunRev materials I don't have, et.)
>
> Thanks and apologies for my ignorance!
>

> Lars

Hi Lars,

Here's what it boils down to :

- the different 'pages' in the how-to are actually
groups of controls, named "rpcHowTo i" where i = 1
through 5

- when you click on the right button, it checks which
'page' is being displayed (this is stored in a custom
property of the 'rpcHowTo' group), determines the next
page to show, and issues a 'goPage' command with the
new page as parameter

- the left and right buttons are members of the
'rpcHowTo' group, so the engine looks at the script of
this enclosing group first, finds the 'goPage' handler
there and executes it

- this 'goPage' handler proceeds to hide all the
groups but the one we're going to, makes sure to show
the one group (=page) we wanted to see

- it also stores the currently shown page as a custom
property for later use by the left and right buttons

Hope this clarified a few things for you,

Jan Schenkel.

=====