Unable to switch to version 2.

taillade taillade.m at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 11 05:10:01 EDT 2003

My application comprises something like 50 identical stacks organized
around a “start using” stack  including all the scripts.
It is for me a very useful tool (first developed with Hypercard) used
every day and working perfectly on version 1.1.1.

When the version 2.00  and now version 2.02. came, I did several tries
and never succeeded to have the program working correctly although it
works perfectly on version 1.1.1.
Worse, crashes seems to corrupt the Revolution application itself which
freezes and refuses to restart when after closing I want to reopen it…
--------------
  Structure of the application
At level zero there are Stack0, StackBibliotheque with all the scripts
and folders FolderA, FolderB, FolderC …
Inside FolderA there are StackA1, StackA2, StackA3… all at the same
level and identical.
Inside FolderB there are StackB1, StackB2, … all at the same level and
identical to the preceding one.
Within each stack properties I don’t forget (when opening one after the
other) to specify the stackfile paths of the stacks with which they
have to communicate.

In fact, all stacks scripts are identical except Stack1 and
StackBibliotheque.
-------
How it works
The application start by clicking and opening directly Stack0.
Th directory is specified when preopening Stack0 using some lines like:
On preopenstack
   global vgDirectorySommaire
   put the filename of this stack into vabsolutepath
   set itemDel to "/"
   put item 1 to -2 of the fileName of this stack into
vgDirectorySommaire
   set the directory to vgDirectorySommaire  ….

  On stack0,  there are buttons BtnA1, BtnB1, Btn C1. leading
respectively to StackA1, StackB1, StackC1…
For example when I click on BtnA1 I open StackA1 using :

do "go stack"&&vgintitulestackactif where vgintitulestackactif is a
variable containing the name of the stack like StackA1  (and not
“StackA1”).

When preopening StackA1, the new directory is specified using the same
way than above and for all other stacks):
On preopenstack
   global vgDirectorySommaire
   put the filename of this stack into vabsolutepath
   set itemDel to "/"
   put item 1 to -2 of the fileName of this stack into
vgDirectorySommaire
   set the directory to vgDirectorySommaire  ….

Until there it works correctly and I am able to open StackA1 and return
to Stack0, open StackB1 and return to Stack0, open StackC1 and return
to Stack0.

Now the problems begin …
I have StackA1 open (with the directory defined on preopenstack) and
want to go to StackA2 (inside FolderA and at the same level than
StackA1 ).

By clicking on the sensible word StackA2 on StackA1  I should be able
to go to StackA2… (and it works perfectly with version 1.1.1); in fact
with version 2, I enter an endless loop which I must stop and then only
I am able to go to StackA2 (the path of StackA2  seems to have been put
in memory because I am able to go to StackA1, StackA2, StackA1,Stack0…).

I have the same endless loop when from Stack0 (by clicking on BtnB1) I
try to go to StackB1 for the first time…

Obviously I have a problem with the path of the directory; I read
several time the "File paths on OS X systems:" section of the "About
filename specifications and file paths" in the documentation but I was
unable to understand what is the way.

I have the feeling the solution is very simple but I can’t move (and
test because I have Revolution application freezing) and I am obliged
to stay with version 1.1.1. It is frustrating …

An help would be welcome.

Michel Taillade