Marketing Rev in Other Worlds

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Sat Aug 9 22:24:00 EDT 2003

Ken,

There is a Chinese proverb that goes something like this:

"The journey difficulty lies not in the distant mountains but in the
grains of sand in your shoe."

It is the same with Rev. I'm sure we've all run into the small
impediments that, in total, dissuade many who try Rev from  adopting
it. I can list 50 "gotchas" that, had there been enough accompanying
stacks - stacks that were FULLY documented, have bitten me in the last
15 months I've been using Rev. It has been this list (and by that I
mean the caring individuals working both for and in support of Rev)
that has provided the assistance I've needed to "keep at it".

I know that many of the questions I've asked have been covered. Once
you know the answer it somehow re-defines the question and, of course,
it shows up in a search of the list archives (or in the 1400 eMails
I've saved since last year).

The stacks/stack templates idea is wonderful. Top-notch documentation
in every script in those stacks is even more critical. I'd also like to
see a checklist for each distribution platform covering all of the
"dumb" things you have to do (like having to create an extra handler
for quitting an OSX app because the Distribution Builder steals the
last two lines of your File menu). That checklist serves an additional
purpose: It reminds RunRev that there are deficiencies in the IDE that
need to be addressed.

Regards,
Barry