RTE bug? [was Re: "Preview screen" button]

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Sat Aug 9 19:52:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 Graham <graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> My comment is that this just happened to me yesterday, in a very slightly
> different form. I had the name of an image in a variable, and this
> statement crashed RunRev:

> set the icon of btn "theGIF" of cd "Demo" to image ATgCurrentGIF of cd
> "GIFWell"

> As with John's problem, it was the token 'image' that caused the crash.

I can't reproduce this.  Does it depend on the image?  Sure you're not just
running out of memory or something? (your script does take all of the data
in that image and start flinging it around, which of course is not what you
wanted to do).

> I found it totally repeatable - I think it's a bug in the engine. IMO,
> **no** syntactically incorrect statement should crash RunRev, but this is
> certainly what happens on my configuration (PC with Windows XP Home
> Edition, French). This is all the more disturbing since logically the use
> of the token 'image' appears to be correct - it appears to be an
> eccentricity of the language that one **doesn't** have to put 'image' at
> this point.

Not at all: it's a *feature* that you can access the raw data in an image
this way, by using it as a container.  But the icon property take a number
(an id), not the raw data (else, it'd be horribly inefficient because you'd
have duplicate copies of all the image data around in each button that
uses the icon).

> If people agree it's a bug, I guess I will bugzilla it, although I have
not
> used bugzilla up to now because of the negative PR it's had on the list
> (will it work on my totally standard copy of MSIE on this PC?)

If it crashes, it's a bug and should be reported.  But be sure to include a
stack example where clicking on a button causes the crash: I suspect
that there's something else going on here than what your original diagnosis
would indicate.
  Regards,
    Scott