DLL Absence

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu Aug 7 13:50:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 12:05  PM, Dar Scott wrote:
>  Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> the ability to make
>> direct system API calls right in the scripting language.
>
> One way to do this on Windows might be the ability to make arbitrary
> DLL calls.  The problem here is that the call must be right.

This thread comes up every few months eh? :-)  ToolBook, Python,
Director, Perl-maybe, all can do this. Rev needs to!

Any C programming guru who want to take a stab at it, might I recommend
you could start with looking at Python's "calldll" [*] module which is
open-source and does glue-to-and-call-an-arbitrary-dll (Win32 only).
What are possibilities of getting a common transcript interface for
accessing shared libraries for all of win/mac/unix?

*
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-March/
014263.html>

Maybe Tuviah and Scott are secretly implementing this feature and it
will be in 2.1!

re: support- on the contrary I think it would be easier for RR to
support a common interface instead of having people writing C code who
wouldn't otherwise want, need, or be capable of learning such a
low-level language.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com