DLL Absence

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Aug 7 05:16:00 EDT 2003

> After spending much time looking for DLL info, I see a message that it
> is in
> the folder, "External SDK", which is not anywhere on my computer.

No it's not. It was taken out in 2.0 because I think they are working on
some proper external docs. What was called the External SDK was about the
lease helpful bunch of files you've ever seen. You should still be able to
get it out of the MetaCard 2.5 build from the metacard.com ftp server.

> Why isn't it there?
> I got the small business edition, which means I got a key to unlock the
> download
> of 2.0.2. I got it on sale. Did I spend too much money? Or, does the
> extra
> information only come with the Enterprise edition? If so, why is
> provision of
> such a capability free in almost every other GUI development
> environment?
> Makes me feel like the small business edition is the no-business
> edition.

You can use externals no matter what version you are running.

> I haven't given up hope on Revolution yet. I was thinking about
> conlodating business
> and title development around it and spending on the enterpise edition.
> But, I might have
> to phase out Supercard-like development and stick with pure C++; and C++
> is time
> consuming no matter how fluent one is with it. Things like QT don't
> really 'draw' well.
> Then there's the compile-try-build cycle. But, the price hit is about
> the same.
> Really need the format for DLL's, shared libs, etc. Don't have a lot
> time to waist on this.

I'm still waiting for some decent docs to get into external development but
there are others around the list that should be of assistance to you. You
will probably find though that most things you do don't require externals.

Regards

Monte