How do I stop app's files from being opened by Rev?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 6 21:45:01 EDT 2003

On 8/6/03 5:08 PM, Barry Levine wrote:

> I'm guessing that, on the Mac, I'd drop the two apps inside the
> "package" of the app. I remember seeing a reference how to do this in
> the list and I'll search for it.

That's probably a good way to do it. If you are distributing for OS 9
though, there is no package. One way to handle it is to assign a
different file type code to the stacks. That way Rev won't allow the
user to select them in a standard file dialog, but it can still open
them from a script.

> On Windows, I haven't a clue.

I don't know if this is kosher or not, but I usually just assign a
".dat" extension. Windows thinks the stack is a data file, it gets a
generic icon, and it doesn't seem to get in the way of anything. If you
want to be really sneaky, password-protect the stacks. Then if someone
opens them in a text editor, they look like binary files and no text is
visible.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com