Teams

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Aug 5 14:34:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 01:55  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> In all fairness there may benefits to allowing simultaneous
> object-level
> development of a given layout that my aging mind simple hasn't
> considered.
> If you could describe such a scenario it would be helpful for my
> understanding of the task of building such a version control tool.

;-)

Nah. It could be my convoluted view of the programming approach.

Here at our shop, it works like this...

I or another, as a project manager, build out an initial UI, and "dummy
code" the controls (msgbox "You clicked me!") Basic method calls and
other expectations of a given control are identified in notes and
comments.

Then, the team takes over. Graphics people develop graphics and put
them in place. Coders start wiring things up, making comments for
others to follow. The whole thing can be reviewed and tested as it
comes together. Code refinements happen. Suddenly buttons which only
threw a message window now perform SQL queries and populate fields with
data... etc. The fonts for those fields, and the field positioning gets
modified, and so on.

A small team, with excellent communication facilities can assemble
projects pretty quickly this way - or at least, it works for us!  ;-)

Using libraries and "start using" and such is both more clumsy and a
step removed from the actual development process. Even CVS, with all of
its associated bull, comes closer to the team development intent, I
think.

What I want is "WebDav for applications" - without all the broken
stuff.  ;-)

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.