Rev & replace PowerPoint from Rev List

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Aug 4 20:15:01 EDT 2003

Dear All

I spent a while fiddling around with making a replacement for
PowerPoint and I'm sure it can be done and it would be awesome!
However, I ran out of time and have not made much real progress (I
could dig out a card that makes a good start at a bullet-point slide
master). There was not much interest from the list at the time,
although Alejandro certainly was interested, he made some good
suggestions and has useful bezier curve and eps import/export stacks
that would be great components.

I'm not working on the project at the moment (I'm a senior lecturer
in pharmacology, not really a programmer). When Apple released
Keynote I decided to wait and see if it would be more to my taste as
a slide program, and in short it is, well, sort of... Lecture
theatres at my university are all equipped similarly with G4 Macs
running OS 9.2 and equivalent PCs running an up-to-date version of
Windows (I never touch the PCs ;-). Keynote only runs under OS X and
so I can't use Keynote to display my lectures unless I scrounge an OS
X PowerBook or iBook. Not on really. However, I've worked out a way
around the problem, and it even gives me more power than Keynote
alone.

My new lectures are mostly put together in Keynote with many slides
imported (flawlessly now that I've updated to Keynote 1.1) from
previous PowerPoint files. I then export the slideshows as Quicktime
movies and put them into a player object on a card in a Revolution
stack. All of my Revolution lecture embellishments like animations
and simulations are on other cards in the stack. This seems to be a
good compromise between having the features of keynote and the power
of Revolution. The only real limitation is that I can't put any
controls on top of a quicktime movie and so I can't do full
integration of the slides with other elements. However, that can
mostly be got around by using the import snapshot command and hiding
the player.

My final presentation consists of a Rev standalone with a Quicktime
movie in a data folder. The overall file sizes can be biggish (2.5 MB
for the Rev standalone and so far up to 4MB for the movie) but I just
put them onto a Zip disk or burn a CD in case I can't access my
computer across the net.

Overall, I am happy with this solution to my dislike of PowerPoint
and I don't think I will be re-opening my project to build a
replacement myself.

Best regards,

Michael

--