RR & binary formats (Re: Reading MP3 tags

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 4 07:49:01 EDT 2003

Victor Eijkhout wrote:

>> Fortunately the spec makes it pretty easy.
>
> Mp3 is a binary format. Is that header you are reading 7-bit ascii?
> Would RR be able to handle 8-bit data?

There may be exceptions, and to be honest I merely took the experimental
route: I opened some MP3s in a binary editor and the TAG info displayed fine
so I just went for it. Seems to work well enough.

> I was wondering the other day if I could use revolution to write an
> sf2 (soundfont) editor. Just splitting up and combining existing
> soundfonts. Naively I thought that RR wouldn't be able to handle
> binary data. Maybe it could.

Indeed it can.  There are many functions in the language specifically for
working with binary.  Fortunately ASCII text embedded in binaries like MP3
TAG info is even easier. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation