Getting Started and Getting Info

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sun Aug 3 12:20:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 06:59  AM, Thomas Cole wrote:

>  Is this thing for real or am I dreaming. Have I died and gone to
> heaven?

Welcome. You are not dreaming :-)

> it's easier for me to just grab a manual and look up my problem rather
> than flood the group with a lot of basic questions here. Should I just
> ask and ask here? Can I find a manual on Ebay? Here are a few examples
> of the kind of questions I have:

There are some utilities floating around for converting the built-in
docs to html or rtf formats. I've found the built-in docs to be really
good. You just have to dig because there is no single table of
contents. Particularly see the Plugin "Search Revolution Documentation"

See also
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:lists.runrev.com
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/
http://www.revjournal.com/

There is an online book in development

http://www.revjournal.com/index.php?id=C0_14_1

> (I USE THE MAC OSX VERSION)
>
> 1. When your script executes "answer" or "ask," the dialog box (or
> whatever it's called)  comes up with a big, honkin' R for Revolution.
> How do I get rid of it? Actually my game is a fish game and I would
> really love to assign the fish image instead of the R. How can I do
> that?

I think the grevAppIcon only shows up on Mac OS X dialogs. You would
have to create your own answer/ask stacks otherwise.

> 2. The "window" that appears when Rev executes "answer" or "ask" goes
> clean across the screen. Can I make it more compact in shape and size
> like in HyperCard? That'd be nice.

In the View menu check "Revolution UI Elements in Lists". See if you
can find the ask and answer stacks and resize and save them. Just a
guess.

> 3. How do I get Rev to inspect itself completely for incompatible
> script? I suspect there is some left there because when I try to build
> a distribution version, it crashes with some dialog box flashing and I
> have to FORCE revolution to quit. Am I doing something wrong?

Without seeing the dialog box's contents  it's impossible to say. Maybe
it will work after you can see the buttons in the distribution builder.
If not, I would open, edit and save every script in the stack. That
will force each one to get compiled one at a time and hopefully show
you the error including the line number.

> 4. By the way, the dialog box for creating the distribution file is
> cut off at the bottom and I can only see the tip top of three buttons
> to click. Only one is active and I've been clicking the barely visible
> sliver of that button, but I don't know its name because it's cut off.
> What gives?

It's a bug in 2.0.2. There is an update area for hotfixes like this:

  From: Heather Williams <heather at runrev.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30, 2003  10:26:48  AM America/Denver
To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
Subject: Update available for license.rev

Dear good folks,

We have posted an update to the license stack for Revolution, since a
few
people are having trouble with the new codes. If you are having problems
registering 2.0.2, go to the updates directory

http://www.runrev.com/revolution/downloads/distributions/2.0/updates/

  and download the appropriate license.rev file. Unzip it, rename it, and
replace your existing license.rev file with it, to be found in the
Revolution folder, on the top level directory.

We have also updated the distribution builder fix, to account for a
small
remaining problem on the Windows platform. If you are still affected by
size issue on Windows you may want to go and download this latest fix,

My warm regards to you all,

Heather
--
Alex Rice, Software Developer