Getting Started and Getting Info

Thomas Cole Tom.Cole at asu.edu
Sun Aug 3 08:06:00 EDT 2003

I have just bought the studio version and I am amazed that I have a
HyperCard Stack about ten years in the making up and running beautifully
after three sittings. (It's an educational arcade game with ten miles of
scripting.) I'm not done at all yet with the rev conversion, but I can
hardly believe that the old problem of cross platform development for
HyperCard programmers seems to be solved. Is this thing for real or am I
dreaming. Have I died and gone to heaven?

I've got fantastic help from the ihug group but I don't ask questions there
very often. With Rev, I would like to have the manuals but they seem out of
print. There are a lot of little questions I'd like answered, but it's
easier for me to just grab a manual and look up my problem rather than flood
the group with a lot of basic questions here. Should I just ask and ask
here? Can I find a manual on Ebay? Here are a few examples of the kind of
questions I have:

(I USE THE MAC OSX VERSION)

1. When your script executes "answer" or "ask," the dialog box (or whatever
it's called)  comes up with a big, honkin' R for Revolution. How do I get
rid of it? Actually my game is a fish game and I would really love to assign
the fish image instead of the R. How can I do that?

2. The "window" that appears when Rev executes "answer" or "ask" goes clean
across the screen. Can I make it more compact in shape and size like in
HyperCard? That'd be nice.

3. How do I get Rev to inspect itself completely for incompatible script? I
suspect there is some left there because when I try to build a distribution
version, it crashes with some dialog box flashing and I have to FORCE
revolution to quit. Am I doing something wrong?

4. By the way, the dialog box for creating the distribution file is cut off
at the bottom and I can only see the tip top of three buttons to click. Only
one is active and I've been clicking the barely visible sliver of that
button, but I don't know its name because it's cut off. What gives?

Thanks very much,
Tom