Database newbie questions

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Aug 3 00:58:58 EDT 2003

Hi Dr. Brauer,

>a) which database would you suggest (I guess that Oracle, MySQL and
>Valentina are my options)?

Developer Release 1 of SDB (Serendipity Database--Binary) is
currently being tested by the Revolution IPC group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/revolution_ipc>.  I expect to release
DR-2 shortly after the DR-2 version of the group's IPC library is
available.  It will be released to the Rev community at large if I
feel the IPC library is stable enough.

>b) is there an internal way of doing this instead of one of the
>above databases?

The traditional HyperCard approach would entail creating a card for
each record.

>c) will the standalone app then incorporate the database functions,
>or will the enduser be required to have the database in question
>installed on their computer as well?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  The data itself can be in a
stack, a text file, or a database file. Unless the data is being
provided via a server app, it must reside in some location the
enduser has access to.  I believe a Valentina db can be accessed
directly by the standalone via an external, and that MySQL requires a
separate server application running on the enduser's computer or over
a  LAN.  SDB works in either mode with no differences in syntax.  SDB
is hierarchical and does not support SQL query syntax.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company