Problems setting large width of group

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Aug 2 16:34:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 03:42 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> I have a Timeline that is a group made up of fields and buttons which
> is generated from a databse.  I just ran into a situation where the
> group size is set to 1 when the trying to set the width to a large
> number (60,000 pixels in this case).  In my code I set the width of
> the group to the formattedWidth of the group.  The formattedWidth is
> returned correctly but the group width is set to 1.

I saw your (excellent) bug report.

A workaround might be to maintain objects within some range of the
current time position (window in a generic sense).  As the user scrolls
to one direction (somehow), objects are created in that direction and
are deleted off the other end.  This means you need to keep the
database around or an equivalent.  This might create a faster initial
response if you were creating this at the start each time the stack is
opened.  This does not need to be on an individual object basis, but at
whatever logical level is convenient.  Some decorative graphics might
be reused.

Another might be to make a 2D timeline.

Another might be to switch to cards.

Switch to a vertical timeline and use very short fields?

I hope you find something.

Dar Scott

****
   Dar Scott Consulting    http://www.swcp.com/dsc/    Programming