[OT] UML Tools for developing Revolution projects

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Fri Aug 1 16:58:03 EDT 2003

Dear Trevor,

Thank you very much for your suggestion!

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:29  AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> With OmniGraffle you can sort of link lines of text to another object
> using Magnets.  Click on the uml object you want to link the text form
> and add a magnet next to the line of text.  Then you can draw a line
> from that magnet point to another object.  I use this all of the time
> for digramming databases and showing connections between tables.

This is actually exactly what we are doing right now. With UML
class/object diagrams, however, we are adding and removing attributes
and methods all the time. As these methods and attributes should have
connection lines that link them to the other methods and  attributes
they refer to, we find that everytime one is deleted/added, the whole
thing goes out of whack, and depending on the complexity of the
diagram, we have to spend a great deal of time updating magnets and
lines... It all ends up being *far* too time consuming...

I have had a look at other diagramming tools that are designed more
specifically towards UML - such as Poseidon for UML, ObjectPlant, and a
couple of others. Even  though they are able to link and update links
better than OmniGraffle, their otherwise diagramming options are
terrible, and cumbersome. Their entire functionality is geared towards
generating final code (Java, Objective C, C++, etc) directly out of
your diagrams, rather than just diagramming. Their interface ends up
being too complicated and clumsy for simple diagramming.

I'm interested to hear that you DO use OmniGraffle for UML diagramming,
though. Do you use it in your Revolution projects?

Many thanks for the info,

--
Igor de Oliveira Couto
igor at pixelmedia.com.au