getProp Parameters

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Fri Aug 1 03:13:00 EDT 2003

According to the 'What's New in version 2.0-2.0.2' section of the Rev
documentation:

"(...) parameters in an 'on', 'setProp', 'getProp', or 'function'
control structure can no longer have the same name as a built-in
property or function."

My query is in regards to the 'getProp' portion of this sentence. I
thought that 'getProp' handlers were called only when a user/script
tried accessing a custom property. If so, how can a parameter be passed
when the getProp is called?

Not long ago, I wanted to do exactly that - be able to pass a parameter
to a getProp handler, so that based on the parameter passed, a
different value would be returned. The property was a 'virtual
property' of a group, and the group was supposed to query one of its
children to get the appropriate property. I had to end up using
*several* virtual properties - one for each child of the group -
because I could not figure a way to pass a parameter to the 'getProp' -
even though it sounds as if I should have been able to...

Does anyone know what the story is? Is this just an error in the
documentation, or is there really a way to pass a parameter to a
'getProp'?

many thanks,
--
Igor de Oliveira Couto