passing headers...help!

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 29 06:37:01 EDT 2002

Hello Bryan,

Unlike the new model of Web Services employing the
SOAP-protocol and its WDSL-declarations, CGI-solutions
have no fixed way of telling what parameters they
expect and how they should be formed.
The only thing you can do, basically, is look at the
URL, substitute the data with your own and pray that
if it works, the site doesn't change its CGI at some
point in the future.

In this case, the cgi program is an .asp file, which
we find before the question mark. Its parameters are
divided by ampersands and show their names before the
equality signs and their content behind.
So the PageViewer.asp on the server expects the
parameters:
- HEAD
- SEC
- DIR
- Calendar
- Dy
- Mo
- Yr

We can conclude what some of these parameters are
(such as: Dy = Day ; Mo = Month ; Yr = Year) and guess
at some others (such as: Calendar = 1 therefore the
next 3 parameters are Dy, Mo and Yr). But unless it's
documented somewhere, there's no real way of knowing
except through trial and error.
And as a lot of sites aren't particularly happy with
people extracting and repackaging the content of their
site, they quite happily change their own systems on a
regular basis.

Hope this helped nonetheless,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (De Rochefoucald)

http://www.cboe.com/Common/PageViewer.asp?HEAD=Market+Statistics+Summary&SEC=3&DIR=TTMDMarketStat&Calendar=1&Dy=26&Mo=9&Yr=2002