Stacks delivered via the web?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sun Sep 15 17:30:01 EDT 2002

Rick,

> It sounds like what you really want to do is design a website.
> You do not mean that you want to deliver the stacks via the web,
> you are talking about building the website/content with Revolution yes?

Alas, no.  My job as a student is to develop educational software
modulettes, the content of which is to be viewed online.  I suppose I
should have mentioned that it is a distance ed class, so it's not as if I
can hand them a CD and have them run the stuff on their personal machines
as standalones.  They don't want to have to have people uploading and
downloading files because they say they don't want to subject people to
viruses.  A better guess is perhaps that they do not wish to tax the other
non-technically oriented students by having them do such geeky stuff as
ftp.

> Perhaps if you could be more specific as to the nature of your project
> we might be able to give you a better answer as to which direction you
> need to go with it.  Another deciding factor is how soon is your project
> due?

Well,  "class" begins tomorrow; the 30 units of coursework should be
concluded within 20 months.  It is an online accreditated course.  I don't
know when the modulettes will be assigned.

The final project I believe is another matter.  I have already been given
tentative approval to develop a set of templates, cbt and perhaps a
different front-end like view to Rev to make it a more suitable authoring
environment for non-technical K-12 teachers.

This is the point of my beef about "everybody" using Director.  Everybody
doesn't because it's simply not a trivial learning curve.  "Everybody"
I've conversed with has indicated that they don't use it except for
courses such as I will be taking because the environment -- metaphor and
scripting language -- is too complex for normal humans.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Judy