CGI engine on Darwin

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Sep 1 12:59:01 EDT 2002

On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 06:02  AM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> 1. I've found out that my Web Hosting Provider uses Linux servers.
> Accordingly I've downloaded the Linux Engine, untared/unzipped it and
> uploaded it to the remote server. After changing the permissions, it
> still
> does not work. My guess is because I did this on a Mac instead of a
> Unix
> box, which I don't have. I suppose the same would apply to libUrl
> library
> and any other rev stacks that I upload to the server.

mmm well, I've done it here... on my mac, for a solaris: make sure all
your FTP transfers are binary...
> 2. My local server scenario works with the exception of
>
> put URL "http://www.wahtever.com"
>
>  even with the libURL stack in the CGI-Executables folder (permissions
> set,
> start using ... etc., set). Your suggestions above are useful, but
> don't
> address the specific advantages of the Put URL command (where you can
> pull
> specific chunks of html data from other web pages and massage them
> into your
> own cgi generated page, to cite just one example).

Right... the libURL  opens vast vistas....

assuming you do get the engine working all you need to do is put over a
stack with the libURL in it... you don't need a unix machine. I think
it could be as easy as making a copy of the revLibrary stack (to be
safe). then cut the script out of the button: revLibURL and paste it
into the stack script... delete all the other buttons and scripts and
then FTP that to the site and call  it with "start using."
> I suppose I'm excited as many people on this list must be because not
> knowing Perl and just using Transcript language to create custom back
> end
> solutions AND integrating that with databases is really something.

Indeed!