Picture Brightness on Windows

Trevor DeVore trevor at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Oct 25 09:40:01 EDT 2002

Hi,

I have an image viewer application that reads images from a directory
and allows the user to browse them.  I had two testers working on
Windows with the program who noticed that the images were darker inside
the viewer then when displayed with the default windows image viewing
application.  This is what we have found so far:
1) On my old Micron box running Windows 2000 the images look the same
no matter what program I open them in - Photoshop, Windows Image
Viewer, My imaging application, etc.
2) A new Gateway Laptop running Windows XP displays the images much
darker inside my image viewer then they display in the default windows
image viewer application and IE explorer.
3) A custom built tower running Windows XP displays images slightly
darker in all non-Microsoft apps.  PhotoSuite and my image viewer
display pictures slightly darker then the Microsoft apps.

These are all the machines we have tested it on so far and I am
wondering if it has anything to do with XP.  Has anyone else
experienced something similar or now what might be causing this?
Better yet, is there a fix?

Thanks,

Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia