Dial via built in modem

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Sat Oct 19 15:53:01 EDT 2002

I would like to use the built in modem to dial a phone number. I want
to build a simple phone directory and allow dialing from it. (I'd also
like to get CallerID info too but that is very much secondary.)

I would like this to work on Macs and Windows but it only needs to work
on Macs with OS X.

Can Rev. 1.1.1 do this? I don't see any entries in the dictionary for
anything like this other than serial communications which I don't want
to use (and don't work on X anyway). I don't see an AppleScript
dictionary item for this either. All of the computers I want to run
this on have built in modems so I was hoping to send a simple "dial"
command which would dial the number and disengage.

Can this be done? If so, how?

Bill Vlahos