Search and Replace

Dan Friedman dan at clearvisiontech.com
Tue Oct 15 23:03:00 EDT 2002

Ken,

Both of these items are correct.  But still doesn't exit the repeat.  Here's
what I have:

function replaceGender whatText
  local tStart,tEnd

  put "he,him,himself,his,he's,boy,guy" into SearchWordsMale
  put "she,her,herself,her,she's,girl,gal" into SearchWordsFemale
  set the wholeMatches to true
  repeat forever
    get
matchChunk(whatText,"[^A-Za-z0-9](boy|h(e|im|is|imself|e's)|guy)[^A-Za-z0-9]
",tStart,tEnd)
    if it is true then
      put char tStart to tEnd of tText into tFoundChunk
      put (charToNum(toUpper(char 1 of tFoundChunk)) = charToNum(char 1 of
tFoundChunk)) into isUpper
      put itemOffset(tFoundChunk,SearchWordsMale) into tItem
      if tItem <> 0 then
        put item tItem of SearchWordsFemale into temp
        if isUpper then put toUpper(char 1 of temp) into char 1 of temp
        put temp into char tStart to tEnd of whatText
      else
        -- you decide... bail? error out? ignore?
      end if
    else
      exit repeat
    end if