arrays

Jacques HAUSSER Jacques.Hausser at ie-zea.unil.ch
Tue Oct 15 10:42:00 EDT 2002

Hello,

Some beginner's questions about arrays - not vital questions, but I'm
curious...

Transpose: I tried "put transpose(Gdonnees) into Gdonnees", and the answer was
"can't transpose this array" (the same if the transpose was put into
another variable).
It was a 10 x 28 global array (with numeric keys) which was perfectly
transposable with a hand-made transposition function, but I'm sure
the built-in function would increase the speed - if it agrees to
work. Which reason(s) can prevent transpose to work ?

another question: if one has a global array, say GArray, and wants to
clean it, are the results of "delete GArray" and "put empty into
GArray" exactly equivalents?
I guess they are not, and the GArray will be rebuilt from scratch
when filled again after a delete. But "the keys" give the same result
in both cases: nothing.
Can these two options have different impact on programming ? I found
only the globalNames which could be affected.

I am very curious about how the arrays are internally built... for
example, why "the keys" of an array (built systematically in a double
"repeat with" loop) present their results in such an erratic order
like:
5,1
3,3
3,1
1,5
1,3
5,2
3,4
3,2
... and so on. It is surely quite logical, but rather difficult to
understand for a mere biologist!

Thank you in advance - Jacques