dealing w/ multidimensional arrays

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Oct 14 07:51:00 EDT 2002

On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 10:04  PM, David Vaughan wrote:

> On Monday, Oct 14, 2002, at 13:29 Australia/Sydney, Alex Rice wrote:
>
> Alex
>
>> "... having to scan all the keys and weed out the parts..."
>
> there is "filter", or were you not really saying what it says?

Filter will work for this particular problem, but I want to point out
it could be potentially dangerous and isn't really correct. Supposing
you have several keys in a multidimensional array

myArr[key1,key2,key3,key4,key5] -- 5 dimensions in this array
put myArr into tArr
filter tArr with "something" -- filter by a string we know occurs in
key1

But what if the string "something" occurs in key2,key3,key4 or key5?
Not really what I want. If filter accepted a regex and I could say

filter tArr with "^something" -- anchor to beginning of key

that would make me feel better.

I suppose I'll write a function to trim down an array by regex
searching on one of it's keys and returning the result.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to