Wouldn't a forum be a far better idea?

Jerry Thomas runrev at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:07:01 EDT 2002

Dear Mailing List Participants,

I have been using the runrev mailing list for a few weeks now and OK I'm a
newbie to revolution.

But, because I am a developer who uses several different software packages I
belong to several different use groups and I'm not a newbie to multimedia or
support.

I believe(with much experience behind it)that the user mailing list is a
very poor way to assist users and that FORUMS are by far the better idea.
Yes, I know, most Rev users are so used to this system that change may be
resisted but the long term best interests of everybody would be served by
the changeover to a forum method.

WHY A FORUM METHOD?

First topics are defined by the header and replies go directly underneath
that header so when a user responds to a given thread it can easily be
understood. With the mailing list, unless you republish the question the
reply just hangs there in space with no context. With the forum method the
next replier can reply to the reply and to the general topic and be well
understood.

There is so much repeated,republished text in the mailing list method that
just wastes time and space but without which the list would be
incomprehensible.

Second forums provide continuity, with a search function you can quickly
determine whether someone asked your same question months or even years ago
with out searching archives.

Third, forums can provide a way to separate topics so that one doesn't have
to read many,many  posts that are unrelated or irelevant to your project or
topic.

Everytime I go to read the Runrev mailing list I come away needing eye drops
and aspirin for my head.

The interesting thing is that you already have a forum but have relegated it
to newbies.  The truth is that newbies can't teach newbies very well. The
best thing for learning is a mix of a pool of experienced users who are
willing to help and newbies willing to learn.

I think both your experienced users and your newbies (if you intend for the
company and community to grow) would be far better off moving over to the
existing forum and the company Runtime Revolution would be better off if it
had easier to understand support.

Check out a high quality forum for Multimedia Builder at www.mediachance.com
(web boards from the menu on the home page)  Like Run rev this is a real
COMMUNITY of users.  The forum method means that you can follow the
conversations and learn from topics and threads that can go back months and
even in one case years.

Right now as it stands you have a very difficult to understand mailing list
and a sorely treated, almost competely unused forum.

Thanks for listening.  I'm just trying to help you build a better company
and user community.

What do people think about moving this user group over into the existing
forum?   Any Comments or suggestions?

Thanks again

Jerry