Expert Systems?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Oct 8 17:36:01 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 04:18  PM, David Vaughan wrote:

> Can you reduce those formulae ultimately to a single score (which may
> be a weighted combination of sub-scores)? If so, it sounds to me that
> a GA could do what you want and it is not difficult to implement in
> Rev. GAs are especially good at munging multiple issues, just so long
> as, eventually, you can single-score a solution. Mixing score
> weightings to achieve that is something you can do with user controls
> rather than embedding, if you are unsure of what the weightings should
> be.

Genetic algorithms are mainly useful for function optimization
problems, I think.

This problem is really perfect for an expert system because it's, well,
an expert system. :-) A bunch of heuristics, rules-of-thumb, which when
you apply them to set of data set it outputs some recommendations
recommendations. Stuff like  "If you employ spatula repair persons,
then you get a spatula repair bay. If the facility is in a snowy clime,
you get an indoor spatula repair bay with kitchenette. If not in a
snowy clime, you get an outdoor spatula repair bay. You get a small,
medium or large spatula repair bay if .... etc."

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to