Http or https

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Nov 23 10:54:00 EST 2002

On 11/23/02 3:50 AM, "Iago" <iago at iago.net> wrote:

>> I got a question for all of you https users.... Exactly
>> what do you want it for? Please cite some examples.
>
> I work daily on a https-secured intranet site that uses
> http-style authentication to control access. I'd like to
> develop some web browser independent tools that can pull
> down data from a given url for use on a local system.
> I can get into the particulars if so desired, but that's
> the abstracted general case.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell. Corporate intranets. If we want our apps to
interact with them, they have to offer some sort of security. HTTP
connectivity is nice, but companies don't need me to display their public
web site content - they have browsers for that.

I won't go in to what the issue has cost me already... but I will say that
several months of development ended up on the scrap heap. My own fault, I
should have considered the issue earlier and elected to use a tool that
offered SSL functionality from the beginning.

I will say that I think the issue is critical for professional networked
applications. Absolutely critical.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.