Valentina and OS-X (Darwin) revisited...

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 03:47:02 EST 2002

--- Greg Saylor <gsaylor at net-virtual.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for the reply!...
>
> Regarding your clarification:
>
> 1)I don't quite get what you are saying....  There
> is a "Macho" version
> of Valentina - isn't that one which will work on
> Darwin or am I
> confused?...
> 2) By the 'cgi' version do you mean
> this "Darwin.tgz" I downloaded from
> http://www.runreve.com/engines11/Darwin.tgz ?...
> 3) [ blank look ]
>
> Regarding your recommendation:
> 1) Already got that.
> 2) Where is the RunRev Newbie board?... I must be so
> new that I can't find it.
>

> Is he talking about running some sort of
> client/server application with
> a Revolution stack running as the server >
> piece?.....  If so will it be able
> to handle multiple simultaneous requests?...
>
> The idea of maintaining text files inside of stack
> is precisely what I want to get away from.. I want
> to be able to edit my files with vi or
> bang out scripts for doing database manipulations
> from some other tool
> (like PERL)...  The big thing for me is that what we

> are workign on is
> moving a portion of a client/server application >
> which currently resides
> in Oracle down to PC's and Mac systems..  The
> current process of
> collecting data and keeping the database updated is
> almost 100% automated....  I want to ensure that
> this process continues transparently....  So what I
> ened is a way to build, index, basically I
> need to be able execute all of the Revolution
> transcript functions from the command line - plain-
> and-simple...  If you are suggesting that I
> can setup a server which will allow me to do this,
> it is interesting to me...
> If you are saying I still have to bury my code
> inside of a GUI development environment where
> developers can't get at it to fix it
> without popping up some GUI application, that's a
> lot less interesting to
> me (and in fact, I would probably get laughed out of

> the office if I tried to suggest it)...  It's goign
> to be tricky enough to get them to
> learn this new transcript language (I am sure there
> will be a lot of resistance to it - as there has
> been with me)....  So in other words, I cna play a
> little bit of Voodoo magic here and hide an OS-X
> server in the back room where nobody has to deal
> with it, but when they write their
> scripts they are going to want to be able to develop

> those scripts using
> the development tools they already have for writing
> command-line apps and
> to be able to do it in basically the same way....
> They have over a million lines of code devoted to
> this application and to have some other
> piece hanging off a ledge somewhere else is just
> going to be very
> distracting when trying to track down bugs or add
> new build procedures....

> [...]

Hi Greg,

Well, upon reading the replies, I was very happy to
learn a few things, such as Valentina being able to
work under Darwin [opens perspectives] and how you
should be able to get it to work right now, using MC
2.4.3 and the VXCMD.

The reason I suggested the 'write your own server'
approach is that :
(1) you could do it right now (bearing in mind I
didn't know there ws a way before the RR2 release
(2) it works just fine in terms of performance and
ease of setup
(3) it gives that 'nice' IDE which other programmers
seem to dislike so much.

Oh well, I guess I'm just more of a 'pack it in the
least number of files' kind-of-guy ;-)

Jan Schenkel.

PS: in case you still haven't found the RunRev Newbie
Board, it's at
http://www.mailping.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

=====