Valentina and OS-X (Darwin) revisited...

Greg Saylor gsaylor at net-virtual.com
Fri Nov 22 05:16:01 EST 2002

>UNIX 1970s editor for full screen terminals, superseding ed, the line
>editor for teletypes and line-interactive terminals.

While this is certainly technically correct... I just wanted to point
out, after having digesting this (and several long islands), that this
simple (although, as I mentioned, accurate statement) does not pay homage
to that which is "vi"...  And even though this is soooo far off topic as
to make this response almost sinful, I feel compelled to set the record
entirely straight (err, whatever your preference is)...

So without further adieu:

It is pronounced "vee-eye". Not "veye" or "vee".

There are a few things you need to know.  Lots of things you should know.
 And a handful of things you can know, if you so desire.

If you type "vi /lfjksadkfjl/sdfajldsjfd/sdjfdlsajf" and you don't see
something which looks like the following, then your system does not have
"vi" installed:

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
"/lfjksadkfjl/sdfajldsjfd/sdjfdlsajf" [New File]
NOTICE-1: vi doesn't care that these directories don't exist.  It assumes
you are smarter then to edit files in directories which don't exist.
NOTICE-2: Press the arrow keys - go right ahead.  Notice they do nothing.
 How strange.
NOTICE-3: Be careful!  Don't go pressing any keys on the keyboard besides
the arrow keys, otherwise even wierder things will happen!

Okay, now press "i".  Nothing happened -- or did it?  Well, you will now
see that you are in "INSERT MODE" - and in fact if someone has setup your
vi environment to interact with humans, you might actually see that at
the bottom of the screen.

.. Well, anyways, I just wanted to spend a few moments and "paint a
picture"... Hopefully this will encourage someone (even ONE person) to
learn this wonderful gift given to us from UNIX...

Sincerely,

/dev/null

P.S. Sorry to be off topic, but I am sure this made at least a couple of
people snicker...