PopUp Menus

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 19 17:16:01 EST 2002

Yves Coppé wrote:

> I repeat that what you ask is not possible !!!!
> I come from Hypercard and used the same XFCN
> In Rev, it is not possible...!!!
> you cannot know which submenuItem has been selected
> Try :
>
> on mouseUp
>   answer the selectedtext of me
> end mouseUp
>
> you will see that the answer is wrong in the submenu's
>
> The reason is that Apple Guidelines say it's not good to make subMenu's in a
> popUp menu...
> you have to create differents popUp menu's btns

A hierarchical menu may be inappropriate for an option control per se, since
an option control is for selecting a choice from a range of options.  If you
could select a submenu in an option control what would you expect it to do?

Perhaps a cascade menumode might work for you, such as those found at the
upper right of tool palettes in Adobe and Macromedia products.  These are
commony used for ititiating commands rather than displaying a selection.

What dos your menu do?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation