Can I do "Digest Authentification"

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Nov 19 11:42:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 08:39  AM, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> Not sure if I'm describing this properly, but I've been asked to write
> an app that sends XML data to a device via TCP/IP, but the device is
> expecting "Digest Authentification" as part of the http POST method.
> Can anyone tell me if Revolution supports this type of
> authentification, or if there's another means of doing Digest
> Authentification?  I'm writing this for Mac OS 8,9 and X.
>
> My friends on the PC-side tell me that they wrote their version with
> Visual Basic, and used some sort of Microsoft XML library, with an
> XML.HTTP.SEND call.  They said something about using an "MD5 Hash".
> I'm not familiar with VB at all - - - I'm just hoping that Revolution
> has comparible support for such a call.  If Revolution can do this, it
> will make my day!

Rev does have a md5Digest() function. Using that you could encypt the
username and password, and use libURLSetCustomHTTPHeaders() to
configure the HTTP request to include the Username and Password with
the http request. I haven't tried this, but it seems like it should
work.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to