Can I do "Digest Authentification"

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Nov 19 11:27:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 08:39 AM, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> My friends on the PC-side tell me that they wrote their version with
> Visual Basic, and used some sort of Microsoft XML library, with an
> XML.HTTP.SEND call.  They said something about using an "MD5 Hash".
> I'm not familiar with VB at all - - - I'm just hoping that Revolution
> has comparible support for such a call.  If Revolution can do this, it
> will make my day!

Revolution has the MD5digest function.  There is a library that can help
in http POST and I believe there is a way to insert headers--I have not
used it.

For your app, you might want to simply use TCP directly.

XML libraries are about, but you may be fine by pasting together some
strings.

Creating the digest involves some string creation and using the digest
function a few times.

Get a good http reference.  You will need to look at a couple chapters.
I have _HTTP Essentials_ by Stephen Thomas, but I am no judge of how
good this is.  This will be handy even should you find Rev will do most
of the work.  You will need an XML reference, too.  Most of those
include much more than you need; you probably need only basic XML
syntax, a single chapter.

The digest authentication comes in (at least) the original and
extra-crispy, I mean, improved versions.  Check on which is used.

I hope this gets you started.

Dar Scott