Inappropriate mouse behavior...

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Nov 18 18:12:00 EST 2002

>A user might press down on button1, realise that they intended to
>actually press button 2, and without letting go off the mouse, move
>over to the appropriate button and let go there. This is, INDEED,
>coherent with Apple's interface guidelines and their principle of
>'forgiveness'. Menus behave that way, and several multimedia-style
>applications that I've come across DO have buttons that behave this
>way, indeed. Think about it, and you will see that it makes sense.

I don't know where you found this in Apple's HIGs. Open a print,
configuration, or any other standard dialog in Finder or normal Mac
application. If you click on a button (standard button or radio for
example) and move the button away, the button's hilite will go away
but I haven't seen that moving mouse (while continuing to hold the
button down) will activate another button. That would be a dangerous
behavior. Mouse down means selection. Mouse up means finalize that
selection and possibly invoke the associated action. If mouse up
occurs outside the area of the selected object, it means that user
changed his/her mind and wants to avoid the consequences. Behavior of
menus is not parallel to this -- holding the mouse enters menu browse
mode, hence one can move from menu to menu and see the options. The
difference is that without the pull action one does not see the
content of the menu.

Robert