Script Analysis

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 16 02:30:00 EST 2002

<http://www.RunRev.com/revolution/downloads/developerdownloads/4W_UmbrellaMa
> n.rev.zip>
>

> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Hi RIchard,

It's nice to see my name used in these listson a
regular basis, but it was Monte Goulding who came up
with the original question :-)
4W_UmbrellaMan can indeed prove very useful in
tracking down the flow of a script, but as I said, it
shows the flow in _one_ instance.

How would you do a 'cold' check of the following
script-snippet and tell what is going to happen?

on myObfuscatedHandler pParam1, pParam2, pParam3
  global gSomeGLobal,gOtherGlobal
  switch pParam1
  case "some"
    put field gSomeGlobal into tTarget
    put "someMessage" into tMessage
    put "call" into tMethod
    break
  case "other"
    put field (gOtherGlobal&pParam3) into \
      tTarget
    put "otherMessage" && pParam3 into tMessage
    put "send" into tMethod
    break
  default
    return "error: pFirstParam must be some or other"
    break
  end switch
  do tMethod && tMessage && "to" && tTarget && \
    "in" && pParam3 && "seconds"
end myObfuscatedHandler

Have fun writing an analyser for that ; only debugging
this step by step can assure you of its correctness,
and even then only in your test-cases.
What would be kind of nice in that department is a
system that keeps track of which pieces of code have
not run yet.

Jan Schenkel.

=====