How do I make standalone database save it's data?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 10 05:03:01 EST 2002

--- Jimw1956 at cs.com wrote:
> I am new to Revolution.  I managed to create a
> simple database application to
> keep a database of videotapes at a local tv station
> where I work.  Everything
> works just like I want except for one small
> detail...I can't figure out how
> to save the updated data that I've added to the
> database when it closes.
>
> I'm from a novice hypercard background, and I'm used
> to Hypercard
> automatically saving changes as they are made, and
> just assumed Revolution
> would do the same thing. After researching the
> documentation, I found the
> part that says that a standalone cannot save changes
> to itself, and that the
> data should be in a seperate stack or file.
> Unfortunately, I can't figure out
> how to do this from the documentation.
>
> I wrote a script into the stack that comes up when
> the window is closed and
> ask if you want to save the changes, I just can't
> figure out how to actually
> save the changes so that when the application is run
> again, the changes will
> be there.
>
> Any help, or locations of tutorials that would help
> me understand this would
> be greatly appreciated.
> By the way, the stack and standalone was built in
> Mac OS-X using the trial
> version.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Williams

Hi Jim,

And welcome on board of the Revolution fleet :-)

Steer the transcript documentation to the 'save'
command and check out its definition.

You should note that at the bottom, there's a tiny
disclaimer that you cannot save data into a
stand-alone stack.

What this means is that when building your stand-alone
application, you will have to put the substacks in a
separate folder.

So basically, you can't write 'self-modifying'
executables ; your data stacks will have to remain
separate.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====