status of ODBC on OS X; is this a waste of time?

Tuviah Snyder tuviah at runrev.com
Fri Nov 8 14:06:00 EST 2002

>1) Mac OS 10.2 ships with the iODBC Driver Manager pre-installed, and
>PostgreSQL has a configure option --with-iodbc to build ODBC driver for
>iODBC. Rev has ODBC connectivity. Methinks this might work! Am I
>wasting my time or should I give it a try?
iODBC will be supported in 2.0. It won't work with 1.1, you actually have to link to iODBC at compile time.

>2) What is the DB support looking like in Rev 2.0? Is the PostgreSQL
>driver going to be Pro-version only?
Oracle (all platforms), MySQL (all), Valentina (osx, ppc, windows), iODBC (all), DataDirect ODBC (ppc), Postgresql client (windows, osx, unix). It will also be modified in that it will load db driver files (ie. dbmysql-one file for each type of database), to avoid bringing down Revolution in the event that a databases client libraries cannot be found. Another advantage is that it will give C++ programmer the chance to easily extend revdb's database capabilities by authoring one of these database driver files. I'll leave Kevin to comment on licensing issues.

Tuviah Snyder <tuviah at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>