[OT] onTO - How's that - OTonTO

Jim Witte jswitte at bloomington.in.us
Sat May 25 14:04:01 EDT 2002

   Tyue, but there has always been a difference between proper written
English and "proper" spoken English (the Queen's Enlgish or whatever),
and whatever is actually spoken by people.  Who/Whom is a case in point
(IMO, that distinction will be all but gone in spoken english within 20
years if not already, and may fade from written English within 100 years
[especailly if we had an intervening world war that destroyed most of
the dictionaries..])  Farther/Further is another favorite point of
contention, one referring to distance and the other to degree.  James
Kilpatrick's newspaper column "The Writer's Art" in the Bloomington
Herald Times (it may be syndicated as well) loves this kind of
linguistic confusion.

   BUT, I haven't been following this thread since it's beginning, but it
seems to me that if there is some confusion on whether 'on' or 'onto' is
more correct, then xTalk should support BOTH.  Yes this leads to a
technically more verbose syntax.  But considering the words in question
are so morphologically and semantically close to each other makes this
easier to swallow than Applescript allowing you to address parameters
using the pronouns with,from,to,onto, etc, etc, etc ("Dammit!  Which
pronoun do I have to use to get this to work!!?")

Jim