script limit

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri May 10 09:14:01 EDT 2002

At 8:08 am -0400 10/5/02, Ivers, Doug E wrote:
>I stumbled across this today in the language dict. under "script":
>
>"If the user has the Starter Kit version rather than the full
>licensed version, an object's script property may not be set to a
>string containing more than ten statements. This limit is set by
>line 1 of the scriptLimits function. (Standalone applications you
>create with Revolution also have this limitation, since standalones
>are freely distributable and are not themselves licensed.) With a
>licensed version of Revolution, script length is effectively
>unlimited."
>
>Does the statement in parens apply only to standalones made with the
>Starter Kit, or ALL standalones.  If the latter, then I'm totally
>confused because I've successfully created standalones having
>scripts longer than 10 lines.

The limit refers to the length of a script that can be "set", not the
length of a script that can be run. This means that you can't
distribute a standalone that allows a user to create a script greater
than 10 lines, or have your standalone dynamically create or alter a
script that is greater than 10 lines. But your standalones can
contain scripts as long as you like, as long as you create them with
a licensed version of Revolution.

Cheers
Dave Cragg